After the big Vietnamese blowout during Day 9, we headed to Koreatown for one last evening of decadent beer food.
- Beer Belly (Koreatown)
- Banh Cuon Hai Nam Saigon (San Gabriel)
Continue reading LA Day 9/10 – A Last Hurrah at Possibly the Most Decadent Beer Place in LA, Plus a Final Taste of LA Vietnamese Food
The majority of this day was spent doing Vietnamese stuff in Little Saigon (Westminster/Santa Ana).
- Brodard Chateau (Little Saigon)
- Thach Che Hien Khanh (Little Saigon)
- Asian Garden Mall (Little Saigon)
Continue reading LA Day 9 – All Viet, All the Time
Heading towards the tail end of our trip. A couple of these places just sort of fell into place in our schedule and it was really rewarding to be able to fit some of these places in our visit, in particular Elysian and Smog City.
- Elysian Food + Bar (Glendale)
- Phantom Carriage (Carson)
- Smog City (Torrance)
- Hwal Uh Kwang Jang (Koreatown)
Continue reading LA Day 8 – A Brunch Surprise, A Tale of Two Breweries, and A Taste of Koreatown
It was a day for family-type stuff and hanging back. We got some much-needed rest in our hotel room in the evening but still had some pretty good eats.
- Ocean Star Restaurant (Monterey Park)
- Qingming Festival at some cemetery
- Saigon Flavor (San Gabriel)
- Boba Ave 8090 (San Gabriel)
- George’s Liquor (San Gabriel)
Continue reading LA Day 7 – Paying Respects and Chilling Out
After learning how to navigate the city with a combination of Google Maps, transit, and Uber/Lyft, we decided to head to Chinatown and take a train towards the southeast.
- Philippe The Original (Chinatown)
- Buu Dien Banh Mi (Chinatown)
- The Bruery (Placentia)
- Garden Cafe (Alhambra)
Continue reading LA Day 6 – A Legendary Sandwich, A Vietnamese Sandwich, Beer Geek Heaven, and Hong Kong-Style Chinese
A relatively light day, but no less satisfying:
- Highland Park Brewery / The Hermosillo (Highland Park)
- Ruen Pair (Thaitown)
Continue reading LA Day 5 – Kickass Bar Eats, Great Beers, and Reliable Thai Food
After shaking off the emotional crap from the previous night, we headed out and did an epic day:
- Quan Ngon Nha Trang (San Gabriel)
- Fugetsu-do Sweet Shop (Little Tokyo)
- Far Bar (Little Tokyo)
- Angel City Brewery (Little Tokyo/DTLA)
- Wurstkuche (Little Tokyo/DTLA)
- Pie Hole (Little Tokyo/DTLA)
- Pizzanista (Arts District)
So in this one day, we were able to pack in Vietnamese noodles, Japanese sweets, German sausages with Belgian fries, American pie, and New York(ish) pizza. We could’ve easily added in Mexican food (of which there are a ton of regional styles available in LA) but surprisingly we didn’t have a drop of during our entire trip because we just couldn’t fit it in.
Continue reading LA Day 4 – A Cross-Cultural Mash-Up of Epic Proportions
In the previous two days of our trip, I was dazzled by the variety of beers available. I was at times paralyzed by choice! A good problem to have, I guess. Today, we scaled it back a bit.
- Golden Road Brewing (Glendale)
- Night + Market Song (Silverlake)
Continue reading LA Day 3 – More Great Beer, and a Tough Night of Thai Food
Bit too much beer the night before, so we started out a bit lighter on this day then ramped it up 😉
- Yung Ho (San Gabriel)
- Bhan Kanom Thai (Thaitown)
- Father’s Office (Santa Monica)
Continue reading LA Day 2 – Taiwanese Breakfast, Thai Desserts, and a Deservedly Famous Burger
Day 1 of our Los Angeles trip, featuring:
- Summer Rolls “A Nem Nuong Restaurant” (Rosemead)
- In-n-Out Burger (Rosemead)
- Stone Company Store (Pasadena)
- Congregation Ale House (Pasadena)
Continue reading LA Day 1 – Vietnamese Intrigue, The Classic Fast Food Burger, and Dipping my Toes into the LA Beer Scene